Chicken Meatballs with Apricot Bourbon Sauce
For the Apricot Bourbon Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ medium yellow onion (about ½ cup), diced
- 2 medium cloves of garlic (about 2 teaspoons), minced
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 1 cup chili sauce
- ½ cup bourbon
- ⅓ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
For the meatballs:
- 1 pound ground chicken sausage, casings removed
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until onion is tender and translucent, about five minutes. Add garlic and sauté for an additional 30 seconds.
- Combine the remaining sauce ingredients. Add to the pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. Sauce with thicken as it cools.
- Form chicken sausage into 2-inch meatballs. Roll meatballs in eggs. Then coat with flour.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Working in batches if needed, add meatballs to hot oil and fry until outside is golden brown and meatballs are cooked through, about 5-7 minutes. Drain meatballs on paper towels.
- Serve meatballs alongside Apricot Bourbon Sauce for dipping.