Grilled Banana Splits
- 3 wooden skewers, soaked in water
- 4 wedges angel food cake
- 4 (1 ounce each) squares semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 bananas, peeled, cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 ½ cups fresh pineapple chunks
- Ice cream and your favorite toppings, optional
- Thirty minutes prior to grilling, soak wooden skewers in water to prevent burning.
- Prepare grill for medium heat.
- Gently cut a slit into the center of each angel food cake wedge, being careful not to cut all the way through the cake. Place one piece of chocolate into the center of each wedge. Brush the outside of each piece of cake with the melted butter.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Place sliced banana in a small bowl. Pour lemon juice over the banana slices and stir to coat. Add banana and pineapple to the cinnamon sugar mixture. Stir to coat.
- Alternate pineapple and banana slices on the skewers. Place fruit skewers over the coals. Grill 3 minutes on each side. Remove from heat.
- Place cake wedges on the grill. Grill for 4 minutes on each side or until cake is brown and develops grill marks.
- To serve, place one fruit skewer in the center of each cake wedge. Remove the skewers.
- Serve with ice cream and choice of toppings, if desired.