Okra Cornmeal Cakes
- 1 cup self-rising white cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 ½ cups cold water, plus more if needed
- 8 ounces fresh okra, stems trimmed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 jalapeño, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup mild vegetable oil, for frying
- Heat oil in a cast iron or heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat.
- While the oil is heating, combine cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the okra, jalapeño, and garlic. In a second bowl, combine the egg and the water. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Batter should be thick and wet. Add a little more water if needed if the batter is on the dry side.
- Carefully pour a ¼ cup of batter onto the hot oil. Work in batches to avoid overcrowding. Cook cakes until the bottoms are brown and bubbles form around the tops and edges, about 2-3 minutes. Turn and cook until the other side is also golden brown, approximately 2-3 minutes. Remove cakes from the hot oil with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Season cakes with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Makes about 12 cakes.