Pride of the Delta Spinach and Artichoke Pizza
- 1 (13-inch) round pizza crust, homemade or store-bought
- 1 cup cooked spinach, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup shredded provolone cheese, or 6-8 slices
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 10-12 quartered canned artichoke hearts, drained
- Red pepper flakes, optional
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and onion powder and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly add the heavy cream. Increase the heat to medium-high heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture begins to thicken. . Remove from heat and stir in minced garlic and spinach. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble the pizza, spread the spinach white sauce evenly over pizza crust, leaving the rim uncoated. Top with provolone, mozzarella, and parmesan cheeses. Arrange the artichoke quarters around the top of the pizza. Bake for 10 – 13 minutes until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted. Cut into slices and serve sprinkled with red pepper flakes if desired.
Makes about 8 slices.