Seafood Cornbread with Crawfish Cream Sauce
- 2 boxes Jiffy corn mix
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- ½ cup diced onions
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup chopped crawfish tails
- 1 cup crabmeat
- 1 (10 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 oz.) can cream of celery
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the cornbread:
- Bake cornbread mix in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish according to package directions. Allow cornbread to cool enough so that you can crumble it with your hands.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium high heat. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, and green onions. Saute until vegetables are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the crawfish and crabmeat and continue to saute for an additional two minutes. Add the soups and continue to cook until mixture is heated through, but do not bring to a boil.
- Combine crumbled cornbread and seafood soup mixture in a large mixing bowl. Spread mixture into a greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch casserole dish. This dish can be frozen at this point. Bake for 40 minutes until top of cornbread is golden brown.
For the crawfish gravy:
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the flour and stir until the mixture is smooth. Continue to cook mixture for an additional 3-5 minutes to cook out any raw flour taste.
- Reduce heat to low and pour in the cream. Whisk gently and continue to simmer over low heat until mixture begins to thicken slightly.
- Stir in crawfish meat and Old Bay seasoning. For a thinner gravy, add additional cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.