Strawberry, Ginger, and Champagne Spritzers
- 1 pound fresh or thawed frozen strawberries, roughly chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 ounces (about a 2-inch piece) peeled and sliced fresh ginger
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 bottle (750ml) semi-dry champagne, sparkling wine, or 24 fluid ounces soda water
- In a medium saucepan, combine the strawberries, sugar, and ginger with 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the strawberries are broken down and softened, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- Pour mixture through a fine-mesh sieve or strainer, pressing on the solids to extract as much juice as you can. Add the lemon juice and allow mixture to come to room temperature before placing in the refrigerator to chill.
- Just before serving, add about ¼ cup of the strawberry syrup to six champagne flutes. Fill each glass to the top with the sparkling wine. Garnish with a lemon slice and a pinch of mint if desired.