Strawberry Shortcakes with Cinnamon Sugar Biscuits
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, washed, hulled, sliced
- 1 vanilla bean
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) cold butter, grated
- ¾ – 1 cup milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place strawberries in a medium bowl.
- Slice vanilla bean down the center with a sharp knife. Open the bean to reveal the seeds. Using a spoon, gently scrape the seeds from the inside of the vanilla bean.
- In a small bowl, combine vanilla seeds with the sugar.
- Pour sugar over strawberries, stir to combine, then allow to sit for at least 30 minutes or up to eight hours.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add grated butter and stir until butter is well-incorporated.
- Add milk and stir, adding more milk as needed, until dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl and comes together.
- Pour dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead ten times. Roll dough out to ½-incht thickness.
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Pour cinnamon-sugar mixture over rolled out dough, spreading to within about ¼-inch of the edged. Gently begin rolling up one side of the biscuit dough until the dough forms a log. Gently pat the roll to bring it together and firm it up.
- Using a sharp knife, cut dough into about 1-inch thick rounds. Place rounds on a greased cookie sheet, about two inches apart. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until the biscuits are golden.
- To prepare the whipped cream, whisk whipping cream on medium speed of an electric mixer. Add sugar and vanilla. Continue to beat until soft peaks form.
- To serve, place a warm biscuit on a plate. Drizzle strawberries over the biscuit. Top with whipped cream.