Thai Chicken Coconut Soup (Tom Kha Gai)
- 1 can (14 oz.) coconut milk
- 1 can (14 oz.) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 6 quarter-size slices fresh ginger
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Thai chili paste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- In a medium saucepan, combine coconut milk, broth, ginger, and lemongrass. Bring to boil over high heat.
- Add chicken, mushrooms, lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, and chili paste. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is firm and opaque, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Discard lemongrass. Garnish servings with basil and cilantro.