Ham and Buttermilk Biscuits with Pineapple Chutney
For the biscuits:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup chilled unsalted butter or shortening
- 1 ½ to 2 cups cold buttermilk
For the pineapple chutney:
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ a cup of brown sugar
- ¾ cup golden raisins
- 1 (20 ounce can) pineapple tidbits, in pineapple juice, drained
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
For the sandwiches:
- 1 ½ – 2 pounds sliced ham
For the biscuits:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Cut butter into mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add three-quarters cup of buttermilk, and stir until dough comes together and begins to leave the side of the bowl, adding additional milk if necessary.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Lightly knead 10 times. Roll or pat dough to ½-inch thickness. Cut into disks using a 2 ½ -3-inch cutter. Place on a greased cookie sheet about one inch apart.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown.
For the chutney:
- Combine first six ingredients in a blender or food processor. Pulse until ingredients reach a chunky puree.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add pineapple mixture and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer, stirring frequently, until mixture is thick and most of the liquid has been evaporated – about 30 minutes.
- Allow chutney to cool then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- To assemble the sandwiches:
- Cut each biscuit in half.
- Layer a few slices of ham on the bottom half of each biscuit.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of chutney over each slice of ham.
- Place the top half of each biscuit over the chutney.