Recipe and photography by Karen Gerard
Baked Eggs with Andouille and Black Beans
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 4 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped, optional
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced, optional
- Combine all ingredients except cilantro, eggs, cheese, and avocado in the crock of a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for six hours or high for three hours.
- Preheat the broiler. Spoon mixture into an 8 x 8 casserole dish or into six individual oven-safe 16 ounce ramekins. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Using the back of a spoon, make and indention in the sausage-bean mixture for each of the eggs. Crack one egg into the center of each indention. Broil until eggs are cooked to your preference, 5-7 minutes for runny eggs, 7-10 minutes for eggs that are more well-done.
- Garnish each serving with cilantro and avocado slices, if desired.