Recipe and photography by Karen Gerard
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons water
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 large bananas
- 4 cups vanilla wafers
- In a double boiler, mix together the flour, 1 cup of sugar, and salt. Add water and stir until mixture forms a paste. In a separate bowl, lightly beat eggs and three cups of heavy cream. Stir into paste. Allow mixture to simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla, stirring until butter has melted. Let cool.
- Arrange vanilla wafers in a single layer on the bottom of a 9 x 13 x 2 inch casserole dish. Slice bananas and layer over vanilla wafers. Pour vanilla pudding mixture over bananas and vanilla wafers.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 6-8 hours.
- Before serving, beat remaining heavy cream on high with an electric mixer. Slowly add sugar. Continue to beat until still peaks form.
- Spread whipped cream over pudding.