Recipe and photography by Karen Gerard
Black and Gold Bars
- 1 (16 ounce) package chocolate sandwich cookies
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, divided
- 2 (16 oz) bags mini marshmallows, divided
- 5 cups crispy rice cereal
- Yellow food coloring
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9 x 12 x 2 baking pan with aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Place chocolate sandwich cookies in a food processor and pulse until coarsely ground. Measure out 5 cups of ground cookies.
- Melt 1 stick of butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add 5 cups of marshmallows. Stir frequently until marshmallows are melted. Remove pan from heat. Add ground cookies. Stir until cookies are completely coated with the marshmallow mixture.
- Press the cookies into an even layer on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Melt the remaining stick of butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add an additional 5 cups of marshmallows. Stir frequently until marshmallows are melted. Add yellow food coloring until mixture reaches desired color.
- Add cereal to the marshmallow mixture. Stir until cereal is evenly coated. Gently press cereal into an even layer over the cookie layer in the baking dish.
- Place treats in the refrigerator and allow them to set for about 15 minutes. Remove treats from baking pan, remove aluminum foil, and cut into bars.
Makes about 12-15 bars.