Recipe and photography by Karen Gerard
Black-Eyed Pea Hummus
- 3 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Pita bread, sliced into wedges
- Combine bacon, black-eyed peas, garlic, water, lemon juice, tahini, and cumin in a blender or food processor. Process until mixture reaches a smooth consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer hummus to a small serving bowl. Drizzle olive oil over the top. Sprinkle with paprika and garnish with fresh cilantro
- Serve with pita wedges or fresh crudité.