Recipe and photography by Karen Gerard
Yields 24 Brownies
11⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
11 oz dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup unsalted butter, cubed
1 tsp instant espresso powder (optional)
11⁄2 cups granulated sugar
1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
5 eggs at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract.
toppings such as chewy chocolate chip cookies, mini pretzels, potato chips, and m&ms
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and line the bottom and sides of a 9×13” pan with parchment paper. Grease the paper.
2. Combine the flour, salt, and cocoa powder in a bowl.
3. Melt the chocolate, butter and instant espresso powder in a heat-proof bowl over simmering water until smooth and melted. Turn off the heat and add the granulated and brown sugar to the melted butter and chocolate. Whisk until completely combined and then remove the bowl from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
4. Whisk 3 eggs into the chocolate until fully incorporated. Add the remaining 2 eggs and vanilla extract and whisk again until JUST combined, taking care not to overbeat.
5. Pour the dry ingredients over the chocolate and with a spatula FOLD the dry ingredients into the chocolate until just barely integrated and some flour is still visible.
6. Pour into your greased and lined pan and smooth the top.
7. Bake for 15 minutes and then remove the pan from the oven.
8. Chop or crumble your chosen toppings over the pan and gently press into the top layer of the brownies.
9. Bake 10 minutes more or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out slightly moist.
10. Cool in the pan on a baking rack. Lift the brownies out of the pan using the parchment paper and cut into squares. Store covered at room temperature for up to three days.