Recipe and Photography by Karen Gerard
- 3 large egg whites at room temperature
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Red gel paste food coloring for stripes
- White chocolate and candy canes for bottoms.
1. Preheat oven to 200°F and line a baking sheet.
2. Combine egg whites, granulated sugar and peppermint extract in a heatproof bowl.
3. Set bowl over simmering water and stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture is warm to the touch.
4. Add the salt and cream of tartar and beat until stiff peaks from and meringue is cooled.
5. Remove half of meringue from mixing bowl and dye the remaining meringue with red gel paste food coloring.
6. Pipe 2-inch circles on parchment lined baking sheet.
7. Bake meringues until crisp on the outside, about 1 hour and 30 minutes – 2 hours. This can take longer depending on humidity.
8. Cool completely before storing in an airtight container at room temp.