Recipe and Photography by Karen Gerard
1 3lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
1 red bell pepper
4 slices bacon
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray or oil.
- Chop all vegetables and bacon into evenly sized pieces and then arrange in a single layer onto the baking sheet.
- Toss with the olive oil and garlic and season with salt and pepper and then bake for 15 minutes. Mix to turn vegetables and then bake another 15 minutes, until squash is fork tender.
- Scrape roasted vegetables from sheet pan into a large pot over medium-high heat and add the thyme. Cook 1-2 minutes until fragrant and then stir in chicken stock and puree.
- Transfer soup back to pot, reduce heat and simmer 5-10 minutes, until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add chicken stock to thin to desired consistency.
- Serve immediately, garnished with a swirl of coconut milk, and sprinkled with bacon, cheese, and chives.
To serve: Crumbled cheese such as goat or feta, chopped chives, diced crispy bacon, coconut milk